Concord Litho Products

Final Product

This past week, three of us wrapped up a photo shoot that has spanned an entire month. Concord Litho, a commercial printing company in Concord, NH, tapped us to shoot new photos for their aging website. The last update was roughly eight years ago when they changed their logo and while they planned on using stock photography for the smaller pieces, they wanted personalized photos to fill in the slideshow banner at the top of each of the two main pages. This is where things became a challenge. The photos needed to tell a story and fit a very odd crop size – 11.806″ wide by 3.764″ high. Although the website has not yet launched, expect that at the end of the month, two of our images have been used as their Facebook Welcome page. Once the site goes live I’ll post about our entire process, but for now, here’s a behind the scenes look at shooting and creating the product shot.



Rather than build a giant lightbox, we converted a print viewing booth on location with a roll of white paper and then ran through over a dozen test shots trying to get the lighting right. At first we tried to light the background separately with the use of gobos to block the light from the product (we can call that approach an epic fail) and soon switched to shooting two diffused flashes into the reflective lighting panels of the booth. A third flash was used camera left with a giant softbox to add some directional light to the product.

Once the lighting was solved, all that remained was setting up the product to fill the composition and to eliminate glare. Fitting the necessary composition size wasn’t going to be possible in one shot, so I simply shot it in pieces that I would layer back together in Photoshop. After importing the numerous images into Lightroom, I was able to select the best candidates for the left, middle, and right as seen below and open them directly to Photoshop as layers.









First things first, I resized the canvas to allow me the room to position each layer where it would nest with the other, then lowered the opacity of the object I was moving to see where it best aligned. The next step was to add masks to each layer and hide everything I didn’t want to show – namely the edges of the paper roll and the white areas where other layers needed to show through. The completed mask allowed the product to stand out against a white backdrop while still having some slight shadows from the very soft light. A quick curve layer to add contrast and a little unsharp mask finished off the image. Check out the images below to see the positioning, masking, final image, or see the image in use. Click the final photo to visit the Concord Litho Facebook page.







Luke Tanner liked this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>